Tuesday, April 17, 2012

For Grandmamma


The hardest pain I’ve ever felt was when I was told that you had gone.
I felt a sense of loneliness and that I was all alone.
People who knew you often said how much we were alike.
But I’ll never be as kind as you, so caring and so nice.
I’ll always remember when we came to visit, that smile that spread across your face.
Your hugs, your kisses, your perfume, and that homely Sydney place.
You must have had some great adventures in your great and wonderful life.
Like America with mum and dad, or just being the painter’s wife.
I haven’t let go entirely yet, sometimes I still believe you’re here.
Still listening to that radio, still sitting in that chair.
Now you’re in a better place with those of whom you love.
But my selfish soul just wants you right back here on earth with us.
I’ll fight these tears and try to be strong because I know that is what you would want me to do.
But just so you know I’m the luckiest girl to have a grandmamma like you.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely poem - I have a handicapped daughter who lost her Mum a year ago and she relates to her in the same way.
    Best wishes, Wal

    ReplyDelete